Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Poem 8/30 - College Freshman Song



After Robert Pinsky's "Samurai Song"
 
When I lost my home,
I covered myself in courage.
I feasted only with my eyes to fill my empty stomach

Yet when there were no sights to be seen, I perked up an ear
Yet when there were no sounds to be caught, my mind wondered
Yet when my thoughts wandered away, I learned patience.

With the absence of both father and mother,
Compassion became my paternal guide,
While wrapped in order’s maternal embrace.

When my calls to friends only led to voice mails
A call to Silence was always reached.
Still, with no adversary of any sort in sight,
I turned on myself.

Without even a church to call home,
I found sanctuary in my voice.
Although it is without a priest,
My tongue sings out

When my income finally runs dry,
Fortune is my only means
‘Til the day Nothing is all I have left to give
This will be my fortunate end

But until then,
I make my way of living by necessity
With a strict detachment policy
So when I go to lay down alone
Sleep is the only one invited to join me.

----------------------------------------
 Prompt from http://www.napowrimo.net/
Rewrite a famous poem, giving it your own spin.

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful expression of self reliance. I was very touched by your openness and courage.
    I'm visiting for NaPoWriMo. Our blog is Poetry of the Netherworld.
    Glad to have discovered your site!

    ReplyDelete