Saturday, April 5, 2014

Poem 5/30 - Imagination, My Friend



Using Langston Hughes' "Quiet Girl"

Adventures found in lost summer hours, I
Often brought you along. I would
Introduce you to characters that liken
All the colorful traits that are you.
No destinations limited to
Where we could travel, even in a
Slumbering house, we crossed Amazon safaris by night.
Only to explore other galaxies by day, without
Worry because you were told to reach for the stars
In school. The place where we were
First separated, before you realized it.
Soon consumed with Math and History, and not
Once consulting me for
Advice. No need for me, I see it in your
Now imagination-free, realistic eyes.

Years of silence between you and I
Lengthened because neither of us would
Speak. Our disconnection liken
Unsatisfied ritualistic routines that you
Call living. Where you hope to
Escape the humdrum and step on a
Path without walking while still sleep.
Where ideas materialize without
Being misconstrued as merely dreams.
What if, for today, we were
To play like old times? Where it
Becomes fun out of nothing, logical or not;
Uninstalling the rules and regulations for
Life, making room for your
Creative, imaginative, own songs.

-----------------
Prompt from http://www.napowrimo.net/ 
Today I challenge you to write a “golden shovel.”

No comments:

Post a Comment