Tuesday, April 30, 2013

30/30 Challenge: Completed


Who did it?
Yours truly - I did it!

What did I do?
I wrote 30 poems in 30 days.

When & where did I do it?
I wrote throughout the month of April 2013, through a mixture of writing in my notebook, personal laptop and any location that provided additional motivation.

How did I do it?
Through a lot of self-determination mixed with my competitive spirit by nature (plus an undeniable and irreplaceable amount of support from my family and friends).

Why did I do it?
 That right there is the million dollar question - that may be answered best in stages.

When first deciding to take on such a challenge, my greatest obstacle was finding my way over my own doubts - Can I even write 30 poems? However, thanks to an optimistic upbringing that revealed the possibility of what said to be impossibilities, I was quickly able to overcome this obstacle.  With that choice, I began my 30/30 journey.

Energized with the excitements of exploring new territories, I started my poetic goal off with a bang - literally, with a first piece about a track race.  I used this adrenaline rush to the fullest extent as I began to jot out poem after poem (some prompted and some not) for my first week and half.  While at the time I really loved the learning experiences of new poetic formats and resources that I was quickly obtaining, I also began to feel the weight of my extremely high-demand workload and equally attention-starved home.  I was soon stretching myself between these many responsibilities and left feeling quite fatigued with a new lingering doubt - Will I have enough time/energy to write 30 poems? Finding a healthy balance of my different roles was quickly achieved through a few schedule adjustments and once more silencing my doubts. Soon my 30/30 journey was back on track.

Progression came and went as the days passed, and before I knew it I had made it to my third week and a once invisible finish line started to take shape. It was here on my journey that I began to examine my writing with a much different set of standards than how I started.  By this time, my exposure to new poetic styles and formats also included many new poets and poems.  As hard as I wanted to keep myself from comparing these to my own, it still happened, and I once more hit a discouraging obstacle - Why would anyone want to read my poems?  Whether it is true or not, I don't believe I would have had the same outcome today if it had not been for the support and encouragement that I received at these times.  Tired, focused & humbled, I pushed myself forward onto the last leg of my journey.

Here I am today, completely elated in conquering such a feat; hungry to continue to feed my reawakened learning spirit; and inspired to continue to work and transform my dreams into my realities as a writer.

This experienced has given me unimaginable memories, priceless teachings and limitless expectations for the next level my writing and I will soar.


In the meantime, I will post some of the jewels that I discovered over the past month.

Happy writing!
♥Reesie

No comments:

Post a Comment