Friday, February 1, 2013

Sweet & Nice

Most have heard the nursery rhyme:
Sugar & spice - and everything nice
That’s what little girls are made of …right?

I admit I was guilty of being one the girls following along
Pretending my life to a children’s song
Check any of my yearbooks
Ask anyone about me, and I guarantee you'd find
My name and two simple adjectives
Following closely behind…

Sweet & Nice
I’d hear that and smile
Feeling like I had it all figured out –
I was so proud
Because…Sugar & Spice - and everything nice
That’s what little girls are made of…right?

Early in my years
I found it so easy
To perpetrate this image to my peers
If anyone I knew was feeling down
I was known for having a smile
& an encouraging word near
And other times when they just needed to vent
My shoulder was always cleared
Along w/ a listening ear
Yet, at that same time,
I also learned how to bury my own fears
(To mask over my face, to conceal my own tears)
And so on rolled the years
With me desperately searching for life's comfort
Through a single thought…                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
I am Sweet & Nice…
And…
Sugar & Spice - and everything nice
That’s what little girls are made of…right?
 Wrong
 This had to stop
I had to really take some time to and see
What was really being said by these words
I so easily let speak for me
 
So, let’s be honest
Sweet is most often used to talk about cookies, cakes & other dessert
Treats always good (only in the moment)
But as soon one too many bites are consumed
You're only left with a “sweet” regret
So if being a sweet person is no more equal than the description of a pastry 
Why did I ever enjoy being compared to something so flaky?

As for nice,
I went straight to the word’s very definition
Oxford had nothing but kind words to tell
But I guess that’s just his good nature
As for Webster, he was polite about it but in the end he was just too virtuous for me to understand
How could actions & behaviors
That should be our human nature
Ever get cheapen & diminished,
To such a weak 4-letter description?

Sugar & Spice – and everything nice
That’s all I’m made of…that can’t be right
I quickly learned the true strength of a heart when it’s left all alone
When life suddenly melts sugary walls and the spices aromas are all gone.
Once 2 words I thought complemented my every action
And always covered my faults with the perfect excuse
Were actually just 2 words that I used for a passively-aggressive ego boost

So now I’m done with using such meaningless words too describe my meaningful life
How about instead: Integrity & truths
Living my life to create new realities to show you,
That’s what I’m made of

♥ Reesie ♥
Written: 12/14/10

No comments:

Post a Comment